Saturday, November 21, 2009

Getting ready for Thanksgiving

My poor husband has the swine flu, so I am hoping that I won't get it as I am the main cook for next Thursday. But we have no control over those things, so I am charging ahead with cooking plans. Today I bought the bulk of my groceries.

An interesting question was answered for me by a friend when I asked her which she prefers: A frozen turkey or a fresh one for Thanksgiving (or any time, of course). She is a gourmet cook, so I figured she was a good one to ask. She said that a couple years ago, Consumer Report published the answer to that after their research. One would think fresh is always best, but not so in this case. Frozen turkeys will be your best bet and the reason is right after they are slaughtered (what a thought, eh?), they are 'flash frozen' and then put in deep freezers. The fresh turkeys can lay around awhile before packaged for sale and actually, in the store they are stored at 32 degree temperatures so they have to be thawed to a certain degree also.

I made my pie crusts this evening and put them in the freezer, thanks to The Pioneer Woman's friend, Sylvia, I hope to have perfect pie crusts this year. Click on the green words (pie crusts) and you can see the recipe. This recipe has also been used in my in-laws' family for years and I know it is very good!

So groceries bought and pie crusts ready to roll out is enough today for Thanksgiving. Four days until I really need to get seriously cooking.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm, interesting about the turkeys!! I saw a thing at Costco the other day -- a fresh turkey breast in a roasting pan with carrots, potatoes, etc. -- just put it in the oven!! I thought "if I was cooking for Thanksgiving, that's what I'd do!" -- but, now, maybe not!!

    I don't have to cook though -- going to Minneapolis, where food is not really the main event...

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete